Four days and the Smart Home

I am slowly preparing for the GRE. I'm taking it on Wednesday. I'm really not looking forward to it, and $150 seems like a lot of money to spend on a test when I'm only applying to one school - though I must admit, if I'm going to apply at all, the program I'm applying to is absolutely a perfect fit for me. This time last year grad school was totally not on my horizon at all. Right now it's...sort of on the horizon. I would be ecstatic to get in to my program of choice and have that door opened for me, but I have a perfectly viable - if not in some ways more appealing - contingency plan that I would also be content with. I have always been a strong standardized test taker, so I'm trying to not get too worked up about the exam.


Today I went to the Museum of Science and Industry, somewhere that I probably haven't been since middle school. Loli and I went with my mom and aunt to check out the Christmas trees before picking my brother up from his apartment for break. The trees were cool (though no Brazil tree - what the hell?), and we got to take in some other exhibits as well. We went to the White House exhibit, which had a lot of artifacts and ephemera from various administrations, as well as the main attraction - a scale model of the White House with fully decked out rooms. The attention to detail was great - I liked the little version of Bo in the yard, and I had no idea the movie theater was so big!


The thing that I was interested in during the trip was the Smart Home, Chicago's greenest house. The house was incredibly sexy and of course very eco-friendly. I loved the open floor plan and the abundance of various decks and outdoor spaces that are part of the house. Despite a $500,000 price tag for that particular model, the house was very efficient while remaining modern and livable. I would have honestly moved right in if they would have given me the option. Even the bathroom fixtures were very architectural and to my liking. You would never know you were living in a house that only cost $10 a week to heat and light.





1 Response to "Four days and the Smart Home"

  • dee Says:

    hi, just found your blog via the purse forum. you're a great writer! i am currently toying with the idea of grad school and the GRE. i hope you did well! what are you planning on studying?