Christmas volunteering

Before coming back home for the holidays, I researched a variety of ways that I could be active in the community, and have continued my search since I've been back, looking for means of giving my time to those less fortunate. I've always been an active volunteer with a variety of organizations since elementary school, and I enjoy doing it as a means to fill my time while I have a break from most of my other obligations. 


I've researched food banks, homeless shelters, even the Salvation Army and similar giving-based organizations (though I've been soured toward SA for the recent controversy surrounding their alleged immigration verification process). Frankly, the entire process has left me extremely frustrated. It is VERY difficult to find information on local organizations looking for more than just money during the holidays. It seems kind of messed up! There are very few outlets for the average person to donate their time, particularly if you don't belong to a church or philanthropic organization. I'd rather not just throw money at a cause or drop off a toy in a toy drive box (though both of these types of programs have their merits, and I plan on participating in a toy drive alongside whatever volunteer opportunities I can find since I donate money to other groups throughout the year). I just think it's strange that with the prevalence of the internet and the number of needy families and individuals around the country, particularly during times of economic hardship, that there are so few resources for people looking for local opportunities to help others. I'll probably resort to calling around to different food banks in the areas to see if they need drivers or other types of labor.


Just some of my thoughts on something I've been frustrated by this holiday season.

3 Response to "Christmas volunteering"

  • Chelsea Talks Smack Says:

    I WOULD LOVE to volunteer this christmas.....i need to sign up now


  • bowsnhearts Says:

    It's kind of disappointing to learn that a lot of organisations prefer money to free labour.

    Some organisations have told me before that they can't register me as a volunteer because I am not a citizen in this country.

    Geez.


  • Lexie Says:

    i had this problem in high school! i volunteered for a crisis pregnancy center for about a month until i was forced to organize brochures about how INeffective condoms are ... then i volunteered for a children's museum. .. not exactly what i had in mind at all.